Kayak safety support registration 2024
Swim for Hope is a 1.3-mile cross-Solent swim, starting at Hurst Point in Hampshire and finishing at Colwell Bay on the Isle of Wight.
The swim will take place on Sunday 30th June 2024 with an estimated start time of 05:00 (time to be confirmed, tide and weather dependant) to raise money for our Isle of Wight services.
As a charity, we rely on fundraising events such as Swim for Hope to support our work and ensure that our support and services can continue. In order for Swim for Hope to be possible, we require on the water support in the form of kayakers. Without your help we would not be able to run the event.
Please read and take note of the following, which has been drawn up by Dave Lutas of IOW Canoe Club, before signing up:
Any person taking part as kayak support for this event must ensure the following:
- The kayak is in a seaworthy condition and suitable for the crossing (inflatable kayaks are not permitted)
- You must be competent to complete the crossing and the return journey
- You must wear appropriate clothing, i.e. waterproofs etc., and a correctly fitted buoyancy aid or life jacket
- You are required to carry a pea-less whistle within easy reach at all times.
- You must be familiar with ‘rafting up’ procedure with other kayaks.
- You are available to attend the online pre-event safety briefing currently scheduled to take place on Monday 24th June 2024 at 19:00. The pre-event safety briefing will be approximately one hour in length.
By registering as a kayaker you’re agreeing to be included in our Whatsapp group for updates on the event (please note others within the group won’t be able to see your name, but may be able to see your number). You can also join our Swim for Hope 2024 Facebook Group via a link in your welcome email.
Please indicate if you are unable to access the Facebook group, Whatsapp group, or email and arrange for an alternative means of communication.
The organisers reserve the right to decline the participation of anyone they believe may be unsuitable for any reason.
Please complete the form below to participate as a kayaker in this event. The information provided is for the purposes of safety and identification only and will remain confidential to the organisers (Wessex Cancer Support) and HM Coastguard, unless required for such purpose.
For full kayaker instructions please read our kayaker instructions sheet.
For further questions about the event please read our Swim for Hope FAQs.