Set Your 40th Birthday Challenge for 2021
Please help us celebrate 40 years of cancer care by setting yourself a challenge for 2021 and raise money for Wessex Cancer Trust. We predict the next few years there will be a greater need for the Trust’s services due to the current pandemic. Our 40th Birthday comes at a time when the Wessex region needs the Trust more than ever and here’s how you can help support that mission. Wessex Cancer Trust needs you!
Take part in one of our great challenges of 2021, something that might test your fitness, endurance or nerves with sky drives, night hikes and 100km endurance walks to name a few but if physical challenges aren’t your thing, don’t worry we have 40 fundraising ideas (see what we did there!) which you can adapt to fit your own schedule, interests and pace!
The 40th Birthday Celebrations will kick-off with World Cancer Day on Thursday 4th February and the launch of Wessex Cancer Trust’s Virtual Birthday Balloon Race. Tickets are on sale now with the seven-day race commencing on 14th February. It’s a 100% eco-friendly simulation of a balloon race flight and uses live weather data and complex mathematical and physics algorithms to simulate how your balloon will fly. Each balloon costs £3, with no purchase limit and prizes for winners and runners-up.
Here are just a few of the challenges you could choose for 2021. Some fantastic experiences that you will enjoy while raising virtual funds for Wessex Cancer Trust. Please scroll to the bottom for our low-adrenaline challenge ideas!
Skydive Days – 28th March 2021 & 12th September 2021
We are looking for thrill seekers to join our Wessex Skydive Team, if you don’t fancy jumping yourself, have some fun and nominate a colleague, friend, or boss to drop instead! No training required, just a sense of adventure and nerves of steel!
Isle of Wight Challenge – 1st May OR Jurassic Coast Challenge – 15th May 2021
Whether you’re a keen walker taking on your first endurance event, or a seasoned marathon runner looking to step up the distance, you’ll get the best support & hospitality through day & night to the finish line! Choose from The Full Challenge of 106km, Half Challenges (54/52km) or Quarter Challenges (29/25km).
Snowdon At Night Trek 2021 – 7th August 2021
This challenge explores the highest mountain in Wales and England by moonlight in part of the global adventure challenge series! Summiting at night brings another sense of achievement to a charity trek like this. Reaching the summit will reveal unforgettable views of the sun rising across the beautiful Snowdonia National Park. You’ll trek over 9.5 miles during the challenge, determination will be required!
Three Peaks Challenge – 24th September 2021
The three peaks challenge is one of the most highly regarded trekking challenges in the UK. Over the two days, you’ll cover the distance of 22 miles within the target trekking time of 15 hours. Starting in Glasgow to tackle Ben Nevis, Scafell Pike and Mount Snowdon. Grit and determination are essential to completing this fast-paced challenge.
London Marathon – 3rd October 2021 & 24th April 2022
Take on one of the most famous marathons in the world in 2021 and 2022. If you’ve been lucky enough to get a ballot place in the Virgin Money London Marathon, congratulations! We’d love to have you join #TeamWessex to raise money for Wessex Cancer Trust. We also have eight charity spots available for our 2022 team, cause it’s never too soon to train.
Bournemouth Half Marathon 2021 – 10th October 2021
This coastal marathon follows a 13.1 mile-long route and promises spectacular views along the cliff tops and seafront promenades of Boscombe and Bournemouth.
Great South Run – 17th October 2021
This Great South Run is an annual 10-mile running event that is part of the Great Run series. This course takes you along Portsmouth and Southsea.
Winchester Triathlon – 3rd May 2021
Cycle, swim and run the Triathlon course including Novice, Sprint or Children’s routes. As the event’s lead charity, Wessex Cancer Trust will be there with cheering you on as part of #TeamWessex.
40 Birthday Challenges
We’ve put together 40 birthday fundraising ideas, many with a 1980’s theme, in tribute to the Trust’s birth year but you can use whatever theme you like. Here’s a small selection of ideas, the full like can be found in our free official 40th Birthday Fundraising Pack (available for download soon!). Complete on your own or get family, friends, neighbours or colleagues to join in too and share the fun!.
- Party with us on our official Birthday- the official birth date is 1st July, and it’s the perfect excuse to plan a community event such as a street party, garden party or local fete – make it as elaborate as you like and add an 80’s theme!
- Get sponsored to complete a mega challenge like a sponsored read – you could aim for 40 books in 40 weeks, or a sponsored haircut donning an 80’s style mullet or one step further – shave your head! For those chatty ones among us, challenge yourself to a sponsored silence for 40 hours.
- Host an 80’s fancy dress disco and dance the night away or organise a retro bingo night with friends and family.
- Challenge your friends and family with a 40 clue treasure hunt or hold your own family-themed games night with retro delights such ‘Game of Life’ or Monopoly! Or take it in turns to host a charity 80’s style dinner party complete with 80’s food – prawn cocktails and cheese fondue anyone?.
- Get your school, college or workplace involved in the action too with an 80’s fancy dress day with min £1 donation per person.
- Run an 80’s style coffee morning. We’re thinking Battenberg, Lemon Meringue, and Black Forest Gateau – yum.
- Organise a golf day and invite your friends and our business community.
However, you decide to get involved this year, share your challenge on social media, tag us in, use hashtags #Wessex40 #WessexCancerTrust or email the fundraising team on email@example.com – your support will be helping local families who are affected by cancer.